Sunday, July 17, 2022

July Road Trip!


 
My husband, Dan, and I just returned from Sun Valley. Of course, those of you who know me will say that's not really news. 
 
It's not, but it was still a fun mini vacation. We didn't have a lot of time for travel this summer because I was in a musical, and then a couple of other projects came up unexpectedly. Plus, journeying too far, especially by plane, seems annoying right now.
 
You know what's not annoying? Being in Sun Valley over the the 4th of July. 
 

 
Blaine County (which includes Sun Valley) banned fireworks, other than professional shows, this year.
 

 
Boise NEVER bans fireworks, and this year was no exception. Our neighborhood sounds like a war zone for about a week around the 4th, and on the 5th of July, a thick yellow, sulfuric haze settles over the city. Nothing like celebrating 'Merica with explosions. Seems appropriate.

In other words, Sun Valley was the perfect place to spend the 4th. We were even able to pretend it wasn't happening, and that was fine with me this year. 
 
 
Yeah, I've already heard it. I should be thankful to live in this country. No other country is better than this one even though it's going through hard times right now. American Exceptionalism, blah, blah, blah . . . 

I mean, sure. Whatever. 
Some countries have universal health care, stricter gun laws that result in less (not "none" but less) massacres, better maternity leave, and protected reproductive rights for women. Those don't sound like terrible places to live either. Remind me why the United States is the best country in the entire world? 
 
Oh wait. Don't. 

Anyway, one thing I do love about America is the scenery, and I live in a perfect part of the country for that. So, this year, that is what Dan and I celebrated. 
 
 
By the way, in case you have forgotten, I just turned 45 AND I am extremely scared of heights, as in mental-disorder-level scared. In spite of those two limitations, I mountain biked during our entire vacation.
 

 
I think that's pretty rad of middle-aged me.
 
For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: