How I Survived the First Week of School (RE-POST from 9/2/12)
- I avoided coverage of the Republican National Convention (too crazy and a little depressing) . . . unless it was on The Daily Show or The Colbert Report.
- I ate leftovers all week. As an equal-opportunity-loving feminist, I would have been happy to let Dan cook for us. And Dan, also an equal-opportunity-loving feminist, would have been happy to do so. But we would have ended up eating cheese quesadillas every night.
- I repeated this mantra: "Labor Day is just around the corner."
- Caffeine! And only because Valium is a controlled substance.
- Chocolate! And only because Valium is a controlled substance.
- Zumba! A little healthier than Valium.
- I laughed with my colleagues. We have plenty of material at an elementary school.
- I focused on anecdotes like this: A little student of mine, who looks just like my brother did at age six, called a picture of a trumpet a "trump-bone." Adorable!
"When can we retire?" he asked. He was having sympathy fatigue, I guess.