Saturday, July 30, 2022

Dan Goes Fishing

Several years ago, I wrote a blog post about how I entertain myself when my husband, Dan, goes out of town. Last weekend just happened to be Dan's annual fishing trip with his father, and I once again filled my days with some fun activities. 
 
 
One day, I went on a solo hike in the foothills and cooked myself a tuna steak with lots of tomatoes. (If it wasn't already obvious, Dan doesn't like tuna steak or tomatoes.)
 
 
I saw a hawk and a deer while hiking that morning.
 
Another day, I drove down to Thousand Springs State Park and hiked with my brother and my nephews. 


 
My nephews are super fans of the Sonic the Hedgehog and Mario Brothers franchises. They showed up for the hike as several different Sonic characters.
 
The twenty-something worker at Ritter Island recognized them right away. 
 
"I see we have Knuckles and Sonic visiting us today!" 
 

 
In fact, we had ALL the friends with us, and they hung out in my brother's backpack. Every few yards, the boys would stop and say, "I want Luigi now" or "I'm going to be Tails now," and my brother, Steve, would patiently dig through the backpack to find the requested mask or stuffed animal.
 
 
"Usually, we only have two friends with us, but they decided to bring all of them today," Steve said.

We also had to stop a few times to help the boys with debris poking them in their shoes. Other than that, we (and all the toys) had a great time hiking. 

Aunt Becky learns all about Sonic the Hedgehog from Desmond.

 
Now we are hiking with Sonic and Shadow.

 
Osprey in her nest
 
Osprey guarding his nest

 


Eventually, it got a little hot for the Sonic masks.
 
 
Time for lunch!

 
Aunt Becky counts Benny's freckles. My favorite 💕!

 
Of course, not everything was fun and games with Dan out of town. I may or may not have watched too many true crime TV shows that weekend. I may or may not have had a little trouble sleeping at night.
 
 
For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: