Saturday, June 05, 2021

Last Days of School: 2021 Edition

Stick a fork in the 2020-2021 school year. We're done. This year was like no other as I am sure you are all aware. At least our school district had a sense of humor about it.
 
 
 
After my fourth week of recording student performances in every single class, every single grade level, I needed a break. I took a couple of personal days and went on a quick road trip to Sun Valley, leaving behind this note in the hopes of preventing any substitute catastrophes. 
 
 
 
When I returned for the last week of school, I was greeted by some nice mermaid memorabilia from my 5th and 6th graders. We have not been able to perform our spring musical in the traditional sense for two years, but this year, we figured out a way to record a readers' theater version, with some fun drumming inserted between scenes. The kids (and I) had so much fun.
 
One of my students couldn't be at school on the days we recorded, so she joined the performance on her laptop, Max Headroom-style. (My fellow Gen Xers should understand that reference.) Her classroom teacher draped the show shirt over the keyboard, and the student turned on her camera. Welcome to 2021, folks.
 
 
During the last week of school, I also had the privilege of preparing the music for Kindergarten Graduation.
 
Practicing our final cool person pose!


 
My nephew also graduated from kindergarten. It seemed impossible that he could already be done with his first year of elementary school. Added bonus: he told his teacher he wants to be a singing teacher!
 
 
Almost as impossible to believe, I completed my twentieth year of service. (Extra credit for the people who say I don't look nearly old enough to have taught twenty years.) 
 
My students who knew me as "Miss Turner" are adults now. Although this was the longest and strangest school year ever, I am reminded how fast time passes us by.

 

A few weeks ago, I posted a teacher appreciation blog that included some of the sweet student letters I received as the school year came to close. A couple of them were from former students who graduated from high school this year. 
 
Printed here are highlights from a few more that showed up in my box during that final week. 💗
 
From a former student:
"I am grateful for how you always made me feel good about myself when learning how to do something I was shy at first doing. The way you guided me and pushed me to do my best is the reason why I learned not only music, but how to be confident, kind, and encouraging in those years from you. You really made a huge impact personally on my life, and I will never forget all the fun and amazing memories that were made in your class, especially the plays we put on!"
 
From one of this year's 6th graders:
"You are the best music teacher ever. This has been a really weird year, and we didn't get to do the big plays we usually do, but you made it work and helped us have fun . . . I appreciate everything you have done. You've helped us improve so much in music . . . I've known you for so long, so it's so hard to leave. I will always remember having the best music teacher from 1st-6th grade. . . Thank you."
 
 For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: