Saturday, June 12, 2021

Now I'm 44 . . .

I remember when turning thirty seemed like THE milestone birthday. Now I'm forty-four. I'm in my mid-forties. I'm not even sure what happened these fourteen years.
 
However, according to a clue on Jeopardy the other night (because I watch Jeopardy like a real adult), middle-aged is considered between forty-five and sixty-five years old. I guess that means I have one more year to go before I fall into that category (at least as defined by Jeopardy.)
 
 
This year, we spent my birthday weekend in Sun Valley. 
 
 
"Expect lots of overnight trips to Sun Valley this summer since we haven't done that in a year!" I told my husband, Dan.
 
I knew my birthday gift was a new bike helmet because Dan had me pick it out online. The padding in my old helmet was falling apart and coming off in chunks on my head. Every time I rode, I felt like something was poking into my scalp, and I always ended up with a headache. 

I also dropped hints that I needed a new book for the summer, and by "hints" I mean I texted him a wishlist of titles and said, "I want one of these."

But when the box arrived, it looked like it was just big enough for the bike helmet. 
 
 
"I guess I'm not getting a book for my birthday," I said with a sigh. 
 
Dan was silent . . . and sneaky.
 
Not only was there a new bike helmet in the box, but two books I had been dying to read AND the new Weezer CD. We still buy CDs. #oldschoolGenX 
 

 
(I noticed, after looking at last year’s blog post, I wore the same dress on my birthday two years in a row. I really do own more than one dress.)
 
The new bike helmet is great and no headache!
 
In Sun Valley, we went hiking and mountain biking, of course.
 
 
While we were hiking, it was rather windy on the unprotected ridges, and during one of the more powerful gusts, I stopped, slightly overtaken by my well-documented acrophobia
 
 
 
"I'm afraid I'm going to get blown off the hill." 

"You're not tall enough for that," was Dan's response.


 
The whole weekend, Dan's catchphrase was, "It's your birthday weekend. You get to choose," which I soon realized was just his excuse for being indecisive.
 
I did have to draw the line when it came to a certain horror movie preview though, opening just in time for my birthday. 
 
"That looks like a good one!" he said, knowing exactly how well that would go over.
 
"We're not watching The Conjuring on my birthday!" 

We did watch a perfect-for-me birthday movie on Netflix called Moxie. You should watch it. I'm serious. Right after you finish reading this. Do it!

By 8:00 p.m. on my birthday, I was ready for bed and in cozy socks. Like I said, perfect-for-me.
 
 
For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: