Sunday, April 05, 2020

STAY-AT-HOME Week 3: Our New Routine


Last week, I mentioned my husband, Dan, and I don't have a problem social distancing. This week, I discovered there might be a reason for that.

Apparently, GenX-ers are awesome, and Dan and I happen to be GenX-ers. (I know it is difficult for you to believe that I, so youthful and fresh-faced, could have been born in the seventies, but I totally was.)

Parade.com even consulted the scientific experts who agreed that GenX-ers are self-sufficient.

“This generation enjoys taking on responsibility, while also maintaining their personal freedom and prioritizing work/life balance," says Shannon O’Neill, Ph.D.

And they used to call us the Slacker Generation. Ha!

 Name this 1989 film!

Last week was technically my school district's spring break. This week, I was back to work, and Dan and I fell into a new routine.

Dan, being a software engineer, has more experience with the art of the teleconference than I do, but I learned a lot about Zoom and Google Hangouts over the last few days. Most of the time, Dan and I are in teleconferences at the same time, Dan on Zoom and me on Google Hangouts.


Dan's work space is our office.

My work space is at our kitchen table among the plants, and I mean A LOT of plants. It's like working at a greenhouse, which could be worse, spoken as my father's daughter. (My father is Houseplant King, like "Tiger King" only without the inhumane exotic animal stuff.)


Notice the piano in Dan's work space? Who is the music teacher in this equation? Who actually needs a piano, I ask?


Dan and I do a good job of keeping the lines of communication open during our work week.

For instance, it is not unusual for me, from my perch at the kitchen table, to text Dan important questions like, "Do you want a coffee? Asking for a friend."

I also started setting an alarm every hour to remind myself to get up and move. My movement of choice is to walk laps around my kitchen and living room.

I have been known to yell throughout the house, "TIME FOR LAPS!"

Originally, I wanted to yell, "LAP TIME!" but Dan was worried he might be on a phone call, and that could be taken the wrong way . . .


So many people have used this time of social distancing to tackle projects at home, to take up hobbies that had been set aside over the years, to binge on Netflix.

We haven't done any of those things although Dan did finish his 3D puzzle. 


However, I've been busy NOT cleaning or reorganizing closets!


Social Distancing Week 1: Tales of Working From Home
STAY-AT-HOME Week 2: Tales From the Outdoors
STAY-AT-HOME Week 4: This Week, I Clean My Own House 
STAY-AT-HOME Week 5: Dan and I Are Like Banksy 


For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: