Sunday, March 29, 2020

STAY-AT-HOME Week 2: Tales From the Outdoors


My husband, Dan, and I don't have a huge problem social distancing. We are homebodies who kind of enjoy solitude. And we love going outside.

The Idaho Governor issued a stay-at-home order this week, but not before being called out on national television by Rachel Maddow. How embarrassing! #facepalm

However, we are still allowed to spend time outside. (Some Idahoans have been abusing this "loophole.")

Dan and I have been staying on the less busy trails close to home, running or biking during less populated times.


The weekend before Governor Little's statewide order, Dan and I drove through a local coffee stand.

"Any big plans?" the barista asked.

Dan and I glanced at each other.

"We're headed home after a run on the Greenbelt," Dan said.

"Oh, I was on the Greenbelt yesterday! It was so great to see so many people outside!" she raved.

"There shouldn't have been that many people out," I muttered to Dan as we drove away.

The weekend prior to the statewide shelter-in-place was crazy. Hoards of teenagers and young adults swarmed the local trails and parks in Boise, despite the Mayor's social distancing order of no more than groups of ten. This infamous weekend included picnics, Frisbee matches, and drum circles at Camel's Back Park.

I would like to go on record and say, as much and Dan and I love the outdoors and a good drum circle, we were NOT there.

Like I said, I have been running on less populated trails close to my home at less populated times. My precautions haven't prevented me from running into some weird people though.

About a week ago, I was cooling down after a jog and was on my way back to my car.

All of a sudden I heard a gruff, "HELLO" at my shoulder.

I turned and saw an older gentleman, a neighborhood resident out for a walk. He wasn't staying six feet away from me. He wasn't even crossing to the other side of the path to pass me. He grumbled something about me being too close, even though he was the one who had approached me.

"I'm sorry. I can't hear you over my iPod," I lied. I could totally hear him being a crotchety old man.

"I SAID, SOCIALLLL DISTANCINGGGG!!!!" he boomed.

"Okay . . ." my voice trailed off as I hastily ran away from him.

I don't think he was being malicious. I think he may have been making some kind of political point or maybe even a joke.

But, Older Gentleman who I totally hope is reading my blog, here is my problem with your joke: a) You were not social distancing six feet away from me and b) We were on the Greenbelt, and you're a dude. You don't think I worry constantly about getting raped?


Since then, I've been hearing other stories about people getting yelled at in stores by women who think they should have an entire aisle to themselves even if the other shopper is six feet away. There was an anecdote in the paper about a person yelling profanity at a kid, calling him an asshole while he rode his bike near a park.

I fully admit, after last weekend, I could be turning into one of those grumpy people.

During our bike ride, even after taking our roads-less-traveled precaution, I was getting judge-y.

"All those teenagers don't look like they belong to the same family," I hissed, and later, "What's with these four baby boomers taking up the entire path? Don't they know we're in the middle of a pandemic, and they are the most vulnerable demographic?"

The next time we hit the trails, Dan asked if I had everything, and I said, "Yes, I have my pepper spray. That way, I can make sure people stay away, like this," I held up the dispenser, "You've been social distanced!"

"That's very formidable, Becky."



Truth be told, getting out of my running clothes is the biggest problem I'm having right now.



Social Distancing Week 1: Tales of Working From Home
STAY-AT-HOME Week 3: Our New Routine
STAY-AT-HOME Week 4: This Week, I Clean My Own House
STAY-AT-HOME Week 5: Dan and I Are Like Banksy 

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: