Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Holiday Greetings from In Becky's Words

 
I didn't send out Christmas cards this year. I didn't get around to it. 
 
I'm sure many folks were waiting with bated breath for my annual form letter, as one does. If you count yourself among the disappointed ones, this blog post is for you. 
 
Even if you were relieved to have one less family Christmas letter to read, this post is also for you. 

Welcome to Becky's Holiday Update.
 
AT SCHOOL
Every year, I take my classes caroling around the school building on the last day before winter break. It evolved out of the question, "What can I do with my classes this close to the break, and how can I preserve my sanity at the same time?" 

It has since become an annual tradition at my school. 

Last year, school was virtual, and we had to skip a year. This year, the sixth graders begged to help take the younger classes caroling. 
 
This was the group of kids who, when they were in third grade, came caroling with me in the morning, and I later found them caroling around the playground during recess.

In other words, they loved caroling and, as sixth graders, this was their last chance. I made arrangements with their teachers, and they joined my first and third grade classes. 

And let me tell you, these big kids were so cute and sweet with the littles. It was one of the most rewarding moments of my week.
 
  
CHRISTMAS EVE
Two days later, it was Christmas Eve. My husband, Dan, and I went jogging in the morning, before I was due at Christmas Eve rehearsals and services.
 

CHRISTMAS DAY
Not too long ago, I wrote about my rock star aspirations 
 
My Christmas gift from Dan put me one step closer to reaching this goal as a middle-aged music teacher.
 
 
Of course, I'm telling everyone it's for school. In reality, the kids are going to have to fight Mrs. Duggan for a chance to play. 
 
(Disclaimer: I'm kidding. I don't fight children.)
 
The snowman advent calendar told us it was Christmas Day, which meant one thing this year.
 

We were going to see Hamilton!  

If you have been reading this blog for a while, you might remember we saw Hamilton twice, within two weeks of each other, during its Northwest tour in Portland and Salt Lake City. We love it that much. 

This year, it came to Boise, after being rescheduled (for reasons I'm sure you can guess), and we were able to see it live for a third time . . . on Christmas day. 
 
Best. Present. Ever.
 

It was absolutely amazing once again. We spent the day after Christmas listening to the Original Broadway Cast Album, and we will probably watch it on Disney+ again sometime this week.

Seriously. It's. So. Good.

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Becky,
you do your mother proud as a writer and blogger - really enjoyed this.

Happy New Year,
Mary Getchell

Rebecca "Jill" Turner-Duggan said...

Thank you so much for those sweet words, Mary. Happy New Year to you too!