Saturday, November 06, 2021

What Will You Be For Halloween?


 
 
Last year, my husband, Dan, and I took a year off from Halloween. But this year, we were back, baby. Or to poorly quote a scary movie from my generation, "We're baaaack . . . !"
 
Music teachers love Halloween. They don't necessarily love the effects of the sugar consumed on Halloween, but the holiday lends itself to so many fun activities. I'm not sure any of my lessons for the rest of the year will live up to the standards of these past few days.
 
 
"Mrs. Duggan, what are you going to be for Halloween?" all, and I mean ALL, of my students asked me.
 
"I'm an adult without children of my own," I thought. "Do they really think I dress up to stay at home and hand out candy?"
 
Apparently (after seeing the myriad of Halloween costumes splashed across the timelines of my Facebook friends), people do this. Maybe I'm missing out.

Out loud, however, I answered the kids with, "I'm going dress up like a Mean Music Teacher: Evil Mrs. Duggan."
 
I almost added, "And she has a goatee," but I wasn't sure they would get the reference. 
 
 
On Halloween night, we weren't sure how many kids would show up at our house. It was a Sunday night, and it started to rain that afternoon. Plus, we're still living in a pandemic in Idaho where people just won't get the jab to save their lives (literally).

"Are we going to be stuck with this whole pumpkin of candy?" I asked as the rain started to fall.

"YES!" Dan answered a little too enthusiastically.
 

 
For a couple of years, it seemed like parents dropped their kids off in our neighborhood to trick-or-treat. We were one of the cool spots in town. This year, we ended up with about half of our candy left over, which was fine with Dan.
 
We watched The Muppets Haunted Mansion and passed out candy to the children who showed up.
 
There was an Elsa and a Harley Quinn and one I didn't recognize with a kooky skull mask who got very indignant when I asked if he was from a movie or a TV show.
 
"I am NOT from a movie!" he scoffed.

The Squid Game and Scream guys who came to our door as a pair were super polite.
 
"Thank you. Happy Halloween," they said.

I told one girl, "If you hold this candy wrapper under a light, it glows in the dark,"
 
"Mom, she gave us glow-in-the-dark candy!" I heard her as she ran down our walkway.
 
A couple of teens on roller blades and dressed in animal costumes showed up toward the end of our evening. Keep Boise awesome, you know.
 
For those of you still need of some major post Halloween cuteness, I will conclude with this.


 For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.


No comments: