Saturday, December 05, 2020

Gratitude From the Mouths of Babes

Before Thanksgiving break, I asked my students to list what they were thankful for (which we then played on sticks as a rhythmic ostinatomusic nerd stuff).
 

 
As we completed this exercise, I realized that my students' gratitude had not been hampered by a pandemic. 
 
"These kids show so much appreciation for the things in their lives," I thought. "Adults could learn a lot about true thanksgiving from these children."
 
So, adults, here is today's lesson in gratitude, straight from the mouths of babes.
 
 
Mrs Duggan: List two to four things you are thankful for this year.
 
Students:  
  • I’m thankful for a roof over my head.
  • For the best school.
  • For the teachers and specials.
  • I’m also thankful for friends and family.
  • My pets, for being there.
  • Clothing.
  • I am thankful for the food on the table each night.
  • FRIENDS for getting me through all this and being there for me.
  • Music.
  • Hospitals.
  • That I'm safe.
  • That I can enjoy the small and free pleasures of life.
  • For my grandma's Corvette. Do you know what a Corvette is, Mrs. Duggan?   
Then one stormy, rainy day before the break, it was announced the kids would be having indoor recess for the day. Some of my first graders groaned.  
 
"I don't mind the rain," one little boy said "because after the rain, you get to see the rainbow."  
 
Life Lesson #454: Don't forget to look for the rainbow . . . 
 
 For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: