Sunday, September 29, 2019

That Time I Drove a Big Car

Last week, I had to drive our 4Runner while our hybrid was at the dealer. My husband, Dan, usually drives the 4Runner, and mostly we take it into the mountains or in the snow. My personal car of choice is much smaller and much more gas efficient.

When I was in college, I drove a Hyundai Excel. When we got married, Dan insisted that I at least drive a car with four doors.

"Trust me," he said. "You will appreciate the extra space."

I am finally accustomed to driving our Ford Fusion, but driving the 4Runner last week was a different experience.

I make stupid mistakes when I drive large vehicles. I don't know where all of the controls are. At one traffic light, I slammed on the brakes and squealed the tires. (Don't judge me. The brakes are much more sensitive on the 4Runner.)

One afternoon, I missed a turn onto a busy downtown street, almost entered the wrong way on a one-way, and had to turn abruptly to rectify the error. When I drove over a curb a few feet down the road, the same driver followed behind me, shaking his head. He had witnessed my whole debacle.

"Ugh. I wish he would turn off," I muttered through gritted teeth.

I hit the concrete island in my school parking lot the next morning.

Side note: Parking is also an adventure in the 4Runner.

"I kept wondering, 'Who is parking in Becky's spot?' Then I realized, you got a new car!" a teacher friend said as I slid out of the driver's seat and jumped to the ground.

I explained that my car was in the shop.

"It's not my favorite to drive," I said. "I can't get in or out of it without being an American Ninja Warrior."

"That is a big vehicle for you," she admitted.

Dan, on the other hand, thinks it's hilarious.

"I like how you have to get a running start to get into the driver's seat," he said as I was trying to get to school one morning.





He stifled more laughter as I pulled the seat up as far as it would go.

"I can't reach the pedals!" I explained. "How do I turn on the windshield wipers again?"

Anyway, nowadays, I am back to driving my normal car.

It's much more Becky-size.

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: