Saturday, July 20, 2019

European Vacation: A Few Observations


Last week, you might remember my blog post was a compilation of photographs from my European Vacation. Well, you're in luck! I'm not done telling you about my trip to Europe. After all, that is what is expected of us fancy European travelers (insert snooty picture here).

Just kidding. I'm not going to go on and on about my vacation. But I will share a few of my observations, straight out of my travel journal, from our time in Amsterdam.

1. You have probably heard about how popular biking is in the Netherlands. What you may or may not know is the bikes don't stop or slow down. The riders ring their bells very aggressively, "DING, DING, DING, DING!" Just because there is a crosswalk doesn't mean pedestrians have the right of way. Apparently, not wanting to hit pedestrians is an American thing. You know that scene in Elf when Buddy runs out in front of the taxi and says, "The yellow ones don't stop!" That's how I felt walking around Amsterdam. Cars, mopeds, and trams will also run you over. Cross at your own risk.


2. They have a screaming Jesus lady in Amsterdam too. She stands on the corner and screams in Dutch except when she points directly at you and shouts, "God not the problem! You the problem!" Don't make eye contact.


3. It is weird how people want to take selfies with the plaque at the Anne Frank House, like "Anne and me are buds!" It feels wrong and irreverent to me.


4. Restaurant servers are polite, but they leave you alone while you eat. I kind of like that.


5. I know it's cliché, but marijuana really does permeate the air in Amsterdam. And it doesn't feel any less safe than any other big city. Hmm . . . #legalizeweed


6. Cheese is really good in the Netherlands.


7. So are the museums. During our last day in Amsterdam, Dan chose to go to another art museum instead of the Heineken Experience. Now that says something.


8. In Amsterdam, they speak fairly Americanized English. It is almost easier to understand the Americanized English in Amsterdam than the British English in England where they have a very different vocabulary. They must be used to the partying American tourists in Amsterdam.

Check out The Book of Mormon advertisement on the left.

9. Things in the Netherlands are made for tall people. I couldn't see out of the peepholes on hotel room doors. My feet didn't touch the ground on tram seats or most of the city benches. I had a hard time reaching the handles on the trams, and the mirrors in public restrooms often hit me above my forehead.


10. Dessert for breakfast is a thing in the Netherlands. Nothing wrong with that.


For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: