Saturday, November 21, 2015

I Am Grateful For . . .

Here we are again. Social media is blowing up with posts about gratitude and thankfulness. I have tried my hand at the gratitude frenzy in the past. And one year, I attempted a gratitude journal as part of a church homework assignment.

This year, I did it for the health insurance. I just completed a wellness activity, and during the course of the week, we were encouraged to write down one thing we were grateful for each day.

As an added incentive, wellness activities lower our insurance premiums. I can be thankful for one thing everyday for lower insurance costs.

Here is what I recorded:

MONDAY: Dan
I guess I was thankful for Dan that Monday. Maybe we had a fun weekend. Maybe he had efficiently finished my honey-do list that Saturday. Who knows? But he was the first thing that popped into my mind that week. That's probably appropriate since he is my spouse.

TUESDAY: My choir
I am grateful for my choir most Tuesdays (and Thursdays). My day starts with a smile every choir morning, partly because the kids sing so well and we have beautiful musical experiences, partly because the choir is a cast of characters who, despite all of their crazy antics, crack me up every rehearsal.

WEDNESDAY: Coffee
It's no accident that I was grateful for coffee on a Wednesday. I mean, how else does one get through the middle of the week? I'm grateful for coffee everyday. It may be the other reason my early morning choir rehearsals are so pleasant.

I was probably grateful for chocolate on Wednesday too. Coffee and chocolate. 

THURSDAY: Health
I was grateful for my health on Thursday. I'm not sure why I chose Thursday to be grateful for my health, but that's what I wrote down. Maybe I was running out of witty ideas. I usually run out of witty ideas by Thursday.

FRIDAY: My job
On Friday, I was thankful for my job. Funny how I waited until the last day of the week to be thankful for my job. I also love my job on Saturdays when I don't actually have to be at my job.

Just kidding. My job is the greatest. Where else do you get to stage musicals with five hundred kids? It beats playing all of the characters myself and dancing around my living room.

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: