Sunday, March 01, 2015

Sorry, Girls: How I Discovered I Liked Working With Boys Better


It pains me to admit this, but I like working with boys better.

Girls are mean and manipulative.

Before you take away my feminist card, ask me, "What is the context of this observation?"

My fifth and sixth graders perform in a spring musical every year. You might remember that last year, they put on The Wizard of Oz.

This year, they are presenting Oliver, which means I am working with lots of little boys.

Over the years, I have discovered that even nice girls turn a little nasty when given the right circumstances. I have encountered girls who have tried to sabotage my leads or have posted rumors on social media or have told their parents lies about me because they wanted a role I didn't give them.

This year (so far—knock on wood), I have had none of those problems. And I believe it is because my leads are boys.

Growing up, I was never one of those annoying girls who said, "I get along soooo much better with boys. All of my best friends are boys."

I was awkward around boys too.

But my handful of girlfriends were not the typical mean girls who gossiped, manipulated, played mind games, or treated people badly when they were jealous. Our mothers didn't raise us that way. And I have stayed friends with them for decades, across state lines and sometimes oceans, for that reason.

Back to the play . . .

The boys who auditioned were competitive. They wanted certain parts, but they accepted what they got, even though I have heard reports of a few tears at home. But they came back to school perfectly happy and with great attitudes.

The boys take direction well. They are willing to try new things even if it make them look silly. Some days, they might complain about not getting enough lunch recess, or they might run around on my risers instead of listening to acting notes. But I prefer that any day over the weird, arms folded in front, stoop-shouldered, angsty posture I often get from sixth grade girls.

My boys jump at the chance to wear stage makeup and costumes, whereas I have heard every excuse in the book from my girls as to why they can't wear makeup or certain costumes. I even added a clause in our "contract" about wearing "WHATEVER Mrs. Duggan says or you will not be cast."
I try to only cast kids who display good character and integrity, but I have found with girls, it is not always enough.

When one little girl was too embarrassed to hug Oliver during a final scene, another boy lead said with a shrug, "I'll hug Oliver."

Boys are awesome.

What am I doing next year, you might ask?

Annie.

Leapin' lizards!

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: