Saturday, March 07, 2015

Dan Goes to Choir Festival . . . Again


A couple of years ago, I wrote a blog post called "Dan Goes to Choir Festival."

Well, my husband, Dan, still goes with me to Choir Festival, and we just had our concert on Tuesday night.

He still records the concert.

He still hands out and collects the choir vests.

He still teaches my students how to hand the vests in neatly at the end of the concert and refuses to take the vests if they are just thrown at him.

This year, Dan and I enjoyed watching my little characters.

Before the concert, I heard singing from the seats in the auditorium, that kind of singing you hear on the bus to summer camp.

I realized it was my choir kids, singing show tunes, specifically the songs from Oliver! They know the songs from Oliver! because it is the spring musical this year. But how cool is it that they sing when they don't even have to?

I don't have a problem with bored-looking students in my choir either. In fact, I couldn't keep them from moving while singing the festival pieces. They came up with most of the actions in their songs.

The good thing about my little characters is that, since they are choir kids by choice and not by demand, they want to be there. They listened to the clinician. They were a polite audience for the other choir. It was hot under the stage lights, but they didn't complain.

"Go hand your vest to Mr. Duggan," I whispered as they exited the stage at the end of the concert.

"That's your husband?" one new-to-choir girl said in awe.

I have one more festival Saturday morning, which Dan will not be attending . . . because . . .

Within twenty-four hours of hanging out with two-hundred-plus children, Dan came down with a stomach flu. It seemed similar to the one that had been passed around our school over the last few months.

After that, Dan may not go to Choir Festival again next year.

Or maybe we'll just pack the Purell.

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: