Saturday, August 30, 2014

How I Survived the First Week of School (RE-POST from 9/2/12)

This post was originally written in 2012. The concept is still the same with the exception of the Republican National Convention. Don't get me wrong. The RNC would still be crazy and depressing, but it's not an election year, so dodged that bullet. (Whew!)

 Here is how I survived the first week of school:
  • I avoided coverage of the Republican National Convention (too crazy and a little depressing) . . . unless it was on The Daily Show or The Colbert Report.
  • I ate leftovers all week. As an equal-opportunity-loving feminist, I would have been happy to let Dan cook for us. And Dan, also an equal-opportunity-loving feminist, would have been happy to do so. But we would have ended up eating cheese quesadillas every night.
  • I repeated this mantra: "Labor Day is just around the corner."
  • Caffeine! And only because Valium is a controlled substance.
  • Chocolate! And only because Valium is a controlled substance.
  • Zumba! A little healthier than Valium.
  • I laughed with my colleagues. We have plenty of material at an elementary school.
  • I focused on anecdotes like this: A little student of mine, who looks just like my brother did at age six, called a picture of a trumpet a "trump-bone." Adorable!
At the end of the first week of school, Dan and I were both comatose by 9:00, even though I had been the one herding six hundred kids all week.

"When can we retire?" he asked. He was having sympathy fatigue, I guess.

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: