Saturday, May 17, 2014

Klutziness Does Not Pay Off


Lately, I've been dropping everything. I'm not sure why. Am I too caffeinated? Too much rushing around and multitasking?

"This is nothing new," Dan says. "You're just a klutz."

But it's gotten worse in the last few weeks.

It started out innocently enough. My fake wedding ring (the one I wear while my real one is being cleaned) fell off my finger and rolled under my car. Then my gum fell out of mouth and onto the carpet a few times one evening. And my bookmark slid out of my book about a million times that week.

But it got serious fast. I started dropping my iPod, a lot. My husband, Dan, thinks this eventually led to The Infamous iPod Crash of 2014.

I dropped my smartphone in the garage and cracked it. We got it fixed, and I dropped it again. Luckily, it didn't break that time.

"You should stop carrying your phone and iPod in your hand," Dan advised. "Maybe put them in your purse before you head out."

In the middle of class, I dropped my laptop and cracked the "skin" (terminology inherited from my computer engineer husband), and now the mouse is loose. Even my students, who love to make fun of me when I get clumsy, gasped as the computer fell to the ground.

"That wasn't good, Mrs. Duggan," they said, shaking their heads in disbelief.

My teacher friend says she is rubbing off on me. She drops stuff a lot too. Maybe music teachers just have too much stuff to juggle. They are constantly teaching back-to-back classes without any time to set things down.

But I couldn't use the teacher excuse when I dropped pineapple all over our kitchen floor a few weekends ago. I washed it off in the sink, but Dan later admitted he wasn't brave enough to eat it.

So on Monday night, I didn't tell Dan that I dropped a big colander full of kale when hot oil splashed me in eye. I wash the kale off and cooked it, figuring the heat would kill any bacteria that the floor had been harboring.

Oh well. What Dan doesn't know won't hurt him.

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: