Monday, May 12, 2014

Deep Thoughts on High School Musical

I recently took on the challenge of music directing High School Musical. Despite the fact that musical theater is kind of like my second occupation, I had never seen High School Musical. The truth is, that craze is from a younger generation. (Sigh.)

But I decided to bite the bullet and watch the movie this week . . . for research purposes, of course. I was warned by others, mostly fellow Gen-Xers, that it was rather cheese-tastic. And it is. But it was also kind of (sheepish cringe) fun too.

Here are few of my observations during my one-hour-and-thirty-seven-minute journey into pure camp:

1. Does anyone else think that High School Musical is Grease lite? You know, without the drinking, smoking, potential pregnancy, and . . . well . . . "Grease Lightning?"

2. Coach Bolton is the hot one. You know you're getting old when you say to yourself, "That guy looks too young to have a son Zac Efron's age."

3. I identify most with Ms. Darbus. I mean, cell phones in the classroom are annoying. And if I gave a bunch of kids detention, I would put them to work painting sets for my spring musical too.

4. If all mean girls were as harmless as Sharpay Evans, high school would have been a lot easier.

5. Also, most identity crises at that age are a lot more difficult, even detrimental at times, than being guilted into not going to call backs for the school musical. 

6. A high school where everyone breaks out into song and dance every few minutes? Heck yeah!

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: