Sunday, April 07, 2013

Focusing on the Funny Stuff

Around this time of the year, school morale starts to slip. The teachers are stressed, and the kids are crazy. So to keep myself saner than the children are behaving right now, I decided to focus on the humorous side of my profession. Here are five funny things that happened last week:

Crazy Choir Kids
The Monday after spring break, all of my students seemed asleep, and it was a very calm day in my classroom. I assumed my Tuesday morning choir that meets before school would be just as peaceful. I was dead wrong. They were kind of like wild zoo animals. It was like they were super excited to be back in choir which was slightly flattering. These are the same kids who, when I announced that choir was going on break for a week, moaned sadly and begged me to still have rehearsals. I thought they would be happy to sleep in. I guess I was dead wrong then too.

Liquor Store Landmark
I'll admit this one is more disturbing than funny. One of my fourth grade students was telling me about a new arcade in town the other day. When I asked her where it was located, she replied, "By the liquor store." I didn't even know what a liquor store was when I was in fourth grade. And I still couldn't tell you where most of them are in Boise as an adult. What a landmark for a nine-year-old to have.

Even Kindergartners Think I'm Short
Because spring is on the way, I am not wearing boots or loafers as often to school. This means I lose about two inches off my height since my shoes of choice right now are ballet flats. One kindergartner remarked on Monday, "Mrs. Duggan, you look short today." Short even to a five-year-old.

Yoda Shirt
On Friday, one of my first graders was wearing a Yoda-holding-a-lightsaber t-shirt that read, "I do all my own stunts." The funniest thing was this kid is the littlest guy in the class. He looked a bit like Yoda next to all the other six-year-olds.

Zombie Tag
Our principal made an announcement on Friday regarding playground behavior. It's spring, and kids are starting to "forget" the school rule. His final plea to the students? "No more Zombie Tag!"

When I told my husband Dan about this new thing called Zombie Tag (I'm still not sure what it is), he said, "That sounds like fun. Do you get to bite people?"

Enough said.

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan

Check out more of my work in:


No comments: