Saturday, December 08, 2012

Please Don't Get Me . . . (Part #1)

With the holidays quickly approaching, I decided to devote my next two blog posts to the worst possible Christmas gifts I could receive this year - not that I expect presents from my faithful readers. But just in case, here is the first half of my top ten list of "Please Don't Get Me . . ." gifts.

10. Fruitcake
I had to include this old standby. Every few years, I teach my elementary kids a song called "The Everlasting Fruitcake," about a re-gifted fruitcake that gets run over by a lawn mower, sent to Norway, and tossed into a mulcher. And it just keeps coming back.

9. Furby
This is one freaky toy from the 1990s I would like to forget. It reminds me a little too much of a Gremlin. And now it is predicted to be one of the most popular toys this Christmas. Terrific.

8. Walmart Gift Card
Not a Walmart fan . . . for political reasons. That is all I'm going to say.

7. Twilight Movie Tickets
I think I am one generation removed from the people who understand this series. My husband and I went to the first movie, thinking the trailers looked decent. We were very disappointed. And what's with the return of these subservient, too-dependent-on-men, female characters in pop culture?

6. iPhone
I just don't want one. A smartphone of some kind wouldn't be so bad . . . as long as there is no lowercase "i" in front of it.

Coming next week: The top five gifts on my "Please Don't Get Me . . ." list . . .


For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan

Check out more of my work in:

No comments: