Saturday, June 24, 2023

Road Trip 2023: The Scary Drive Part

 
"Tomorrow, Dan wants to take a certain scenic drive that sounds like it might cause death . . . or possibly lead to divorce. We'll see . . ." 
 
I wrote this passage in my travel journal the night we took the Mount Carmel-to-Zion Highway.
 
In this second installment of my summer road trip series, I would like to tell you about the "scenic drive" Dan decided to take us on. 
 
My face when Dan bribes me with candy before taking us on a scary drive
 
After reading about our national parks experience last week, maybe you're interested now in how we get to all of these fun places. Or not. Either way, here it is. You're welcome.

On Tripadvisor, several of the reviews talked about how beautiful this particular drive was, gorgeous scenery, blah, blah, blah.
 
But some of the reviews started with, "Hold on to Your Steering Wheel" and "I Almost Crapped Myself!"
"I'm FREAKING DONE!! I'm NEVER going on vacation with [my husband] again. This is the third time he's pulled something like this on me . . . I'm going to church Sunday and I'm going to change my life. This was too close to DEATH!!!" 
This did not sound like something I would enjoy . . . AT. ALL. 
 
When Dan says, "It [the drive] will be pretty. Eat your Twix bar."
 
When Dan still refuses to let me veto going the "scenic way"
 


 
So . . . our drive on the Mount Carmel-to-Zion Highway did not, in fact, end in death or divorce. It actually wasn't as bad as some of the mountain roads Dan has driven in the past.
 
The scariest part was the mile-long tunnel—no running out of gas or breaking down allowed on that stretch.

Dan made me stand on a rock on the edge of the road, I repeat, on the edge of the high part of the road so he could take a picture of one of the windows in the tunnel. 
 

 
And every time we went around a switchback (there were several) we'd yell, "HAIRPIN TURN! AGGH!"
 

But all in all, everything was fine. I'm fine. We're fine. 

And still married.


For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: