Monday, February 27, 2023

My Somewhat Unplugged Getaway


 
Recently, I went on a somewhat unplugged mini vacation. By "somewhat unplugged," I mean that I still streamed my favorite TV shows and listened to Spotify and took pictures on my phone and turned on my laptop for blogging purposes.
 
But I've been thinking a lot lately about not making myself available 24/7. For instance, when I receive an email or a text message, I have always felt like I have to answer it right away. I've found the best way to fight this compulsion is to turn my notifications off. 
 
"I can't wait to get to a place where people can't contact me," I told my husband, Dan, as we packed for our mini vacation last weekend.
 
"We're staying in a condo, not a yurt. We'll have cell service and WiFi," he said.
 
"Yes, but I will be on Do Not Disturb," I said. "I'm drawing healthy boundaries."
 
So, I wrote vacation responses for all of my email accounts (especially my work account) and turned off my text message notifications and headed into the mountains.
 
The snow just happened to be perfect for Nordic skiing that weekend. It was so perfect that I only took one picture the first day while I was getting ready to leave the trailhead. I spent the rest of my skiing days enjoying my surroundings instead of reaching for my phone.
 

 
In the evenings, Dan and I binged Andor. It required WiFi, but my rule was I could use WiFi as long as it was for fun.
 

 
We had dinner at one of our favorite restaurants. 
 
Fun fact: The microwave in the condo was on top of the refrigerator (that seems safe). When I warmed up my leftovers the next day, I had to stand on a chair to reach it.
 
Dan went snowboarding one day during our stay, and I spent the day doing my favorite things, including Yoga. I had to use the Down Dog app on my phone, but, again, it was for fun. It didn't count against my healthy boundaries.
 

 
Then I blogged while taking in beautiful views from the condo window. (For fun . . . still not breaking my rules . . .)

 


 

 
A snowstorm rolled in around the time I finished my blog post and started reading my spooky book.
 
 
Then I finished my day, while Dan was still snowboarding, by watching an episode of The Crown.
 
 

Even though I skied 10 miles during this short getaway, I returned more refreshed than after a major summer vacation. I love going on Do Not Disturb. 
 
On Tuesday, I was ready to answer my emails again.

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: