Friday, May 29, 2020

Grocery Shopping in the Age of the COVID

When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, grocery shopping got weird. Now it's the new normal. But in the beginning, it got weird fast.

The first week of social distancing, prior to Idaho's statewide stay-at-home order, I was asked by the grocery clerk, "You got any big plans today?"

I paused in confusion.

"I'm just going to hang out at home?" I answered uncertainly.

"Maybe I should come up with a better question for a while," he admitted.

Around that time, grocery shopping became more and more apocalyptic every week. I started to stress out about going to the store not because I was unwilling to change but because I didn't want to break the rules.

At first, a few customers wore masks but most didn't. At this time, the workers weren't didn't even wear masks or gloves, but several of them wandered around the grocery store, carrying spray bottles.

Within a week, I spotted several masks, and all the workers wore gloves. The clerks didn't wear masks, but Plexiglass guards had been installed at each cash register, and stickers on the ground ordered shoppers to stand six feet apart.

For the next few weeks, due to my increasing workload, my husband did the grocery shopping.


By the time my husband, Dan, started grocery shopping, customers had been asked to wear masks. Also, the store aisles were set up with one-way traffic.

SIDEBAR: In the Treasure Valley, people vary in compliance as far as what they are willing to do to mitigate risk. The customers who frequent our local grocery store are fairly considerate compared to some of the other "BUT MY RIGHTS" weirdos in this state.

After school got out for summer break, I took over the grocery shopping again.

"I don't want to do anything wrong," I said to Dan before I headed out the door. I just know I am going to go the wrong way down a one-way aisle."


"You won't be the only one," Dan said.

"What?!" I exclaimed indignantly. "People need to follow the rules!"

"I am sure you'll be judging people more than they will judge you," he added.


Dan was right.

I judged the guy trying to pass me while I was giving someone some space as they rolled past me in the opposite direction. I am proud to say I successfully blocked the guy so that he too was forced to give that person space.

I also judged the elderly gentleman heading the wrong way down the one-way aisle.

Neither of them were wearing masks. Both were men. I silently judged them for that too.

P.S. It's not that difficult to wear a mask. You get used to it. Stop caring so much about what you look like. It doesn't infringe on your rights anymore than wearing pants. And for the love of God, please wear pants!



For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: