Saturday, August 10, 2019

Just a Crazy Cat Story (RE-POST from 9/8/18)


I was involved in a recent production of Cats. In light of that and the upcoming creepy movie version, I thought I would rerun this post from last year. Enjoy!
 
So . . . here is a crazy cat story for you. I have plenty of crazy goose stories, but it has been a while since I have written about crazy cats.

I am fully aware that cats can be crazy. My brother has a cat that may or may not be possessed by demons.

When my nephew was two or so, he figured out it was fun to tease the cats with an abandon that ignored things like . . . say . . . demon possession.

"Let's chase Junior!" he would say, an attempt to enlist me in this dangerous game.

I will do about anything for that kid, but I will NOT chase Junior.

Junior is the type of cat that nestles up against you and makes you believe he wants to be petted. He even lets you pet him for a few minutes before turning all Spawn-of-Satan, hissing and baring his fangs at you.




All of this to say, I wasn't surprised when I came upon my own crazy cat experience.

I was walking home from the neighborhood park after my morning run when I noticed a cat stalking something in the yard across from him. He made his way across the road and crouched behind a car. I figured there was a bird or squirrel in the tree in front of me.

Then I saw the cross-eyed cat from the house next door tucked into the corner of the yard, beside the fence. A gray cat rested in the grass under the tree.

The stalker cat made his move and darted out from behind the car at the two unsuspecting cats. The cross-eyed cat dashed under the fence, but the gray cat blocked the attack, and the two cats ended frozen in a stalemate, staring each other down.

I stopped walking, enthralled by the whole encounter and by how still both cats remained.

All of a sudden, the cats, bodies frozen, deliberately turned their heads to glare at me. Neither one moved but stayed united in staring me down.

They sat there in their ready-to-pounce position, first looking at me, then turning back to look at each other, then turning back to look at me, and on and on.

They glared back and forth at me several times before I got the hint and gave up. I wasn't going to witness a fun cat fight. I might even end up a victim of a double cat attack if I waited much longer.

I finished my walk home, only to find our neighbor's cat hanging out in our yard. This cat had become my weed-pulling buddy during the summer months.

"Hey," I said to the cat. "You're not crazy like your friends around the corner, are you?"

I was met again with a blank stare, this time from my weed-pulling buddy cat. After a few seconds of that, the cat crept over to the sprinkler valve to lap up the dripping water.

And that was the end of that.



For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: