Sunday, December 16, 2018

Anniversary #15 Or Whose Idea Was It to Get Married at Christmas Anyway?

You may have noticed I have been rerunning a lot of blog posts lately. Most of my faithful readers will know this is because I am a musician and a music educator, and the holiday season is typically booked up through Christmas Eve for me. However, this year seemed worse than usual, most likely because I added a theater production to the mix.

Photo credit: Dan Lea
Photo credit: Dan Lea
Amalia Balash in She Loves Me ended up being one of the most rewarding roles I've performed on the stage. But let's be honest. It cut into my awesome holiday blogging time. 

Even though I may not be sending out Christmas Cards (stay tuned for next week's blog post) or decorating a tree at my house this year, I'm back just in time to tell you about my 15th Anniversary.


My husband, Dan, and I were married fifteen years ago on December 20th. I thought I was being so smart. My music program at school wasn't quite as big as it is now, and our Winter Break started a little earlier than usual. I thought getting married during the break was a grand idea. The church was already decorated. The wedding cake could be snowflake-themed. People could include Christmas ornaments on our wedding gifts.

"Just keep in mind," the minister who married us said, "you will never celebrate your wedding anniversary on the actual date if you get married at this time."

He was speaking from experience. His wedding anniversary was also on December 20th.

Fast-forward fifteen years, and I found myself scheduling my music programs with my principal.

"Hmm . . . December 20th," I said, "that date sounds vaguely familiar, but it looks free. Let's have our 1st and 2nd grade program that day!"


I guess Dan will be helping me take down risers and stage platforms on our 15th anniversary.

A lot happens in fifteen years. Let me rephrase that. A lot happens very quickly in fifteen years because life goes by so fast.

Hey Millennials, it's like this. One night I was twenty-six. The next morning, I woke up, and I was forty-one. Seriously . . .

In honor of Anniversary #15, here are some highlights from our life together for the last decade and a half.
 

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: