Sunday, February 11, 2018

The Valentine That Almost Wasn't (RE-POST from 2/20/17)

Remember this from last year? My husband, Dan, already told me he has about given up on florists during the high-traffic holidays. After fourteen years of roses, I wonder what it will be this year? Chocolate? Chocolate's always good. I still think Valentine's Day is overly commercialized, but I think I can handle at least one consumer-driven holiday that encourages chocolate and wine.


When my husband, Dan, and I first married, I mentioned in not-so-subtle terms that I wanted flowers sent to my work on Valentine's Day. I have received flowers ever since. Until this year . . .

Being an elementary school teacher is the best career for those of you who lament this heavily commercialized holiday or for those of you who lack a "valentine" to share the day with. I am the first to admit how fortunate I am. Kids bring me chocolates and touching cards about what an awesome teacher I am all day long.

In fact, I was so busy basking in all the random acts of kindness, it completely slipped my mind that I hadn't received my annual flower delivery.

That evening, Dan helped me unload my car. He searched the back seat, then the front seat, and emerged with crinkled eyebrows.

"Didn't you get any flowers . . . ?" he asked.

"No!" I said with a gasp. "Come to think of it, I didn't!"

"I know they are busy on Valentine's Day, but . . ." he added he would give the florist a call the next day.

"I will take a nice dinner out instead." (We already had made reservations at a local restaurant.)

"And a Walking Dead marathon," Dan said.

"That sounds romantic," I mumbled.

The next morning, I discovered from our administrative assistant that the florist had a left a message on the school's voicemail at 5:30 the previous evening, complaining that the doors were locked and he wasn't going to be able to deliver the flowers. Our assistant, who always has our backs, called him and had it out with him.

She said something along these lines, "This is a school! No one is here at 5:30 to have flowers delivered to them. I would redeliver them at her home or give Dan his money back!"

Dan also called them and found out they were going to redeliver.

I received the roses in the middle of my third grade class, the day after Valentine's Day. It was just fine with me. I had two Valentine's Days in a row.

It was the perfect class in which to receive the flowers as well. I have several cute girls in that particular group, and they made me read card (luckily, not a sexy one). In fact, they were horrified that I tried to start teaching before I read the card.

"Happy Valentine's Day! I'm looking forward to our McCall trip together."

"Awwww . . ." the girls squealed.

"I've seen your husband," one of the kids said, while a few others tried to tell me about their past trips to McCall.

I finally got them refocused on the actual music lesson before my thirty minutes with them were up.

Later that afternoon, the custodian told me the flowers were the prettiest she had ever seen and commented on the the way the petals were already opening.

"Thank you," I said, "but have I got a story for you!"

 

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: