Sunday, October 01, 2017

More Funny Kid Stuff

Last week, I wrote about some of the funny kids I have encountered this school year. But did you know kids aren't just funny at school? Yeah, go figure. Here are anecdotes from my kid adventures outside of school, the ones that didn't quite make it into my blog post last week because they didn't fit into my school days theme.

Becky goes to summer camp.


This summer, I led the music at a children's camp, and I had an interesting conversation with a couple of spitfire, redheaded first graders.

First Grade Girl: I like your backpack. Where did you get it?

Me: My husband got it for me for Christmas.
Girl: Where did he get it?
Me: I don't remember exactly. Probably online.
Girl: Lazy.
Me: What?
Girl: Lazy.
Me: Lazy?
First Grade Boy: Yeah, lazy!
Me: What do you guys mean?
First Grade Boy: He can't even go to the store and pick it out for you?
(He couldn't say his "r's" very well, so it sounded more like, "He can't even go to the stowah and pick it out fowah yo?")
Girl: Like I said. Lazy.

Later that evening, after I had sung a few Taylor Swift songs for the kids, one of the girls said I was a rock star.

"Oh yeah!" I said. "Rock and roll!"

"No, not rock and roll. Rock and roll is noisy. You're a rock star, but you don't sing rock and roll."

The wisdom of six-year-olds, I guess.

One of the teenagers told the other kids he thought I looked like Katy Perry (not in this universe), and the kids started calling me that Music-Lady-Who-Looks-Like-Katy-Perry.


Will the real Katy Perry please stand up?
The resemblance is astounding. #NotReally

Aunt Becky disobeys the rules. 



Don't let the innocent face fool you. This kid is a criminal mastermind.

Last weekend, my brother and his awesome family stayed with Dan and me. Those of you who have been faithful readers know I love hanging out with my brother's family, especially my nephews.

I was playing in the backyard with the two-year-old, Desmond, when he threw a ball into our bushes. Earlier that weekend, my brother, Steve, had told him he wasn't allowed to do that.

"You had better go pick up that ball before Daddy gets out here," I told Desmond.

Desmond gave me the strangest sideways glance I have ever received from a two-year-old and walked to the other side of the yard. A few minutes later, Steve joined us outside.

Desmond immediately called out, "Aunt Becky threw blue ball!" and pointed at the evidence nestled in the bushes.

Desmond tries to lift a tree.
Along the not-so-evil-genius, just-plain-cute lines (although his evil genius streak is pretty cute too), Desmond created a new game while he was at our house.

We have these white columns in our dining room, and Desmond went from pillar to pillar trying to lift them. He would wrap his arms around them and say, "UUUUGGHH!"

Then he would announce, "Now Aunt Becky try" or "Now Uncle Dan try," and Dan and I would attempt to lift the columns too, sound effects and all.

The next thing we knew, he was trying to lift the trees in the park by our house.


Our home was pretty quiet this week. We missed having those little guys around, even if Desmond does enjoy getting me into trouble.


For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: