Saturday, September 16, 2017

It's Time to Start Acting Like an Adult . . . Sigh (RE-POST from 9/15/13)

 I have to start #adulting again now that the school year has begun. Here is a post I wrote a few years ago about coming to terms with my apparent professional competence. I'm way more mature now that I'm forty though. Enjoy this re-post from 2013!


This year, I have had to accept the fact that I am now an adult. It's probably about time considering I'm thirty-six years old. But it's amazing how easily one can put off adulthood when one does not have children.

I have flown under the radar for about twelve years. It helps that I still look pretty young, so people are often unaware that I have been living in the adult world for a while now. But I guess a person can only be "new to the profession" for so long.

Over the past year or so, I have been encouraged to take on more adult responsibilities in my job, such as leadership and organizational roles. Occasionally, people even come to me for advice . . . to me who still feels like the young, new kid on the block. What's that all about?

When I was given the choice between two columns of professional duties—a mentor column verses a need-to-be-mentored column—I was encouraged to sign up under the mentor column. I did, a little flattered and a little under duress. My "But I don't know anything" protestations were met with "You silly girl" shakes of the head.


Just in the last month, I have received asked three times for my input on department issues. I have been asked to explain and present on two different occasions in front of my peers. I hate speaking in front of adults. I will perform, sometimes half-naked, on stage in front of 1000-member audiences. But when it comes to sharing my expertise, if it could be called that, I much prefer the younger generation (i.e. five-year-olds, etc.)

One of my former student's parents caught up with me this year and was telling me how much her children missed me at their new school.

"Mrs. Duggan was the best . . . " they would say when they came home.

"You have quite a reputation, you know," the parent said.

I guess I should just accept the fact that I finally know what I'm doing, and I should also be flattered that other people think I know what I'm doing.

I read once that every professional's biggest fear until retirement is that he/she will be found out, that he/she will be revealed to be a fraud, that everyone will eventually know that he/she never really knew how to function in his/her job.

I've got a ways to go until retirement, and that just doesn't sound like a very pleasant existence, so I guess I had better sit back and start enjoying this adult responsibility thing.



For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: