Saturday, August 05, 2017

Stuff I Did in Washington


My husband, Dan, and I recently returned home from a trip to Washington. We visited Eastsound on Orcas Island and Leavenworth, each for a few days.

We started our trip by driving to Anacortes, about nine hours one-way. We set a firm AIS time ("Ass In Seat," which we shamelessly stole from an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond), and we moved it back a half-hour the next morning when we didn't quite make it.

"AIS" Time: About a half-hour later than we hoped
EASTSOUND, ORCAS ISLAND

We couldn't check in right away after our seven o'clock ferry ride to the San Juan Islands. We ended up in a bookstore for part of the morning where I bought a journal, intending to record our vacation for the next two weeks. I mostly just wrote about the food we ate.

We also checked out the island, including the famous Mount Constitution at Moran State Park. By the time checked in to our condo, the woman at the front desk was impressed that we had already done so much.

Never a lazy moment. That’s how we roll.

Our first night on the island, we ate dinner at a restaurant where the menu stated, "The state of Washington says we have to warn you that eating food in its natural state could kill you." We found less frightening places to eat later on that week.

One evening, we watched a live bluegrass concert in the park and saw a cat on a leash. The locals seemed to know the woman walking her cat and seemed to fully expect her cat to be on a leash.

By the way, a cat on a leash works about as well as one would think.


The next morning, we walked across a land bridge that is only visible during low tide for approximately forty days every year. The land bridge led to another smaller island right across the beach outside our condo.

"Ugh!" I said. "I don't want to get my shoes that wet! I'll just wait for you here."

Dan makes it to the island.
Eventually, the bridge started to reveal itself, and I ventured out, noticing that my shoes were drying out quicker than expected.

"You don’t get to have fun without me!" I said to Dan as I surprised him and stepped onto the island.


We also went whale watching, one of those you-didn't-experience-Orcas-Island-if-you-didn't-do-this activities.


Humpback Whale tail

We spent a couple of days hiking on the island at Moran and Obstruction Pass State Park and at the Turtleback Mountain Preserve.

During our hikes, every time I maneuvered a somewhat tricky rock or hill, I said "I American Ninja Warriored that." (I have been watching a lot of American Ninja Warrior this summer. I know it's been on umpteen million seasons, and I'm late to the party. But I've had a lot of General Hospital to watch over the years.)

Fun fact: On Orcas Island, the signs at the camping and hiking trailheads warned you the biggest dangers to your food were crows, deer, and raccoons, no mention of bears, cougars, or snakes. We were definitely NOT in Idaho anymore.


LEAVENWORTH

However, there were bears in Leavenworth.

Last week, I wrote about mountain biking in Leavenworth, so I won't go into my almost met a bear story again.


We had visited Leavenworth a few times in the past and had driven by Dan's Market but never actually shopped there. This time, we stopped and ordered custom sandwiches.


At the Leavenworth bookstore, I bought Carrie Brownstein’s memoir, Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl, and a children's book for my classroom about a songbird who had to find his special song to sing. I found Dan in the Sci-fi/Fantasy section and showed him my selections.

He looked at my face then at the children's book, "Did you cry?"

"A little . . . "

I found this in another store and, not sure if it was allowed, surreptitiously took a picture while Dan stood guard. Then I texted it to my brother and sister-in-law.


We wrapped up our final night of vacation watching . . . what else? American Ninja Warrior!


For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: