Saturday, June 10, 2017

Turning 40, Part 2: #birthdayweekend

I have posted a lot about my birthday since starting this blog. A year ago, I wrote, "Our Last Year of Our Thirties," and after tracking down several other birthday-related articles I had written about turning thirty (it doesn't seem like that long ago, but nobody hints that I should have kids anymore) and birthday playlists, I realized I needed a pretty monumental turning forty entry.

That's why my big 4-0 won't be a one-time reading experience. I will be blogging about it four times!

That's right! My fortieth birthday just turned into a four-part series, friends.

If you are one of my astute readers, you might remember I wrote part one when my husband, Dan, turned forty. Technically, you only have to sit through three more of these things.

My birthday fell on a Monday this year, so the festivities began that weekend. #birthdayweekend

I am not a wild woman or a partyer. I wanted a simple celebration.

I wanted to see the movie, Wonder Woman.
My Wonder Woman pose . . .

I wanted to drink one glass of wine with dinner and eat good food that I didn't have to cook.

I wanted a new pair ear buds because my old ones were falling apart.

This mystery box included a brand new pair of ear buds.

I wanted to go out for coffee and read.


And I wanted to attend to the theater.

Here we are at the Idaho Shakespeare Festival, ready to see Hamlet.
My parents also visited Boise during my #birthdayweekend and took me out for brunch.

Remembering the Milk of Magnesia hat and toilet targets that were part of Dan's birthday party in April, I told my dad, "If we are celebrating in public, you can't do anything embarrassing!"

They were on their best behavior.

Fortieth birthday pics at Freak Alley in Boise
At lunchtime on Monday (my actual birthday), Dan surprised me with cupcakes.


The day after my birthday, I went trail running, and on my second loop, I ran by an older gentleman whom I had passed earlier.

"You got around there fast!" he said.

"Thanks!" I yelled back at him. "My fortieth birthday was yesterday,​ and I am running this whole thing. Life goals!"

"I ran seven miles on my seventieth birthday. Keep it up!"

Turning 40 was not so bad after all.
Now that you have read and loved part two, feel free to revisit:
Turning 40, Part 1: Dan Is 40 Now

Still to come next week:
Turning 40, Part 3: I Am 40 Now

And the week after:
Turning 40, Part 4: Hangin' at the DMV

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: