Saturday, May 27, 2017

The Stress List

Just last weekend, while I was taking a walk, one of my neighbors asked me, "So, how many days?"

(For any new readers who may have stumbled onto my blog this week, I am an elementary music teacher. Translation: "How many days are left until summer break?")

I couldn't answer.

"Umm . . . nine? Wait, eight and a half . . . no, seven and a half . . . no, eight and a half . . . no, seven . . ."

I went on like this for several minutes. By the time I settled on an actual number, I was halfway down the cul-de-sac and out of earshot.

Some of my colleagues had the numbers of days, hours, minutes, etc. figured out months ago.

Not me. I don't count down days. I still don't know how many days, and I'm out next Friday. You could probably figure it out quicker than I can with just this bit of information.

I count down the time left by the items on my infamous Stress List.

I am by no means saying I am busier or more stressed out than anybody else in my line of work.

One of my favorite life lessons comes from writer and actor, Mindy Kaling:
I do not think stress is a legitimate topic of conversation, in public anyway. No one ever wants to hear how stressed out anyone else is, because most of the time everyone is stressed out. Going on and on in detail about how stressed out I am isn’t conversation. It’ll never lead anywhere. No one is going to say, “Wow, Mindy, you really have it especially bad. I have heard some stories of stress, but this just takes the cake.”

From: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
In an interview on NPR , she also added to this sentiment:
And it's a little narcissistic, in fact, to talk about that, because everyone is stressed out no matter what job you're in. Nobody is like, "Yeah, I'm doing really well — work is just a total snooze and so easy."
My Stress List is not the way I brag about how stressed out I am. It actually keeps me from going on and on about my stress.

It's the reason I hear comments like, "Wow, you are so poised," or "I don't know how you do what you do. You are so busy!"

(Nobody ever says anything like this, but if they knew about my Stress List . . .)

My Stress List takes me from this . . .


To this . . .


I love making lists, but I'm not this old school anymore. My Stress List is on my phone now.

On my List, I keep track of everything that gives me butterflies when I think about it. It can be as simple as making a phone call to a parent or the music store because I hate #adulting.

As I finish each item of Stress, I check it off my list. And I breathe a sigh of relief, not only because the Stress is over, but also because it's sooo much fun to check things off a list!

Two weeks ago, I had twenty-two items on my Stress List. I have been able to check off eighteen Stresses in less than fourteen days.

Don't ask me, "How many days left?"

I don't know.

Ask, "How many stress items left?"

Four. I have four items left on my Stress List.

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: