Saturday, February 04, 2017

"In Jill's Words" Is Now "In Becky's Words"

It's me, Becky! Newsflash: My name isn't Jill.
When I first started blogging, I didn't want anyone to know who I was. I wrote under a pseudonym. It felt very subversive, like George Eliot or George Sand. My middle name is Jill, so I called my blog, In Jill's Words. That was in 2006.

As you've probably guessed from previous blog posts, I am not subversive or a British or French novelist. Also, in order to be a blogger, you have to make up some sort of profile, and I didn't go to huge lengths to hide my identity.

It is hilarious to think that I could achieve any kind of anonymity on the Internet. The INTERNET! I mean, Google already knows everything about me, from the fact that I am a female raging liberal to my interest in General Hospital.

Then, I received a message from a sweet woman, a fellow blogger who had recently bought the domain, injillswords.com. She didn't ask me to change anything. She just wanted to let me know she would be blogging under the title as part of her business.

I felt bad she had paid for the domain, and here I was blogging under the title for free, for fun, not as a way of bringing in any extra income, and "Jill" wasn't even my real name. It was time to reveal my true self . . .

So . . . my blog is now In Becky's Words. My URL is the same for now since I would have to change all of the links I have posted on my Facebook pages, etc. I need a little more time for that, like maybe, summer vacation.

Word of caution: Don’t Google In Becky’s Words yet. My blog shows up third, but only after lyrics to a rap by Plies and an embarrassing Urban Dictionary definition. Apparently, the term "Becky" does not mean a perky, freckle-faced, elementary music teacher in all circles.

Let's just say it makes the Sir Mix-A-Lot song (another rap that uses my name) look like it belongs on the Disney Channel.

“Oh my god, Becky, look at her butt . . .”


For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: