Saturday, August 27, 2016

How I Survived the First Week of School (RE-POST from 9/2/12)

This post was originally written in 2012. A few of the references are a little dated now, although we are headed toward an election once again . . .
 Here is how I survived the first week of school:
  • I avoided coverage of the Republican National Convention (too crazy and a little depressing) . . . unless it was on The Daily Show or The Colbert Report.
  • I ate leftovers all week. As an equal-opportunity-loving feminist, I would have been happy to let Dan cook for us. And Dan, also an equal-opportunity-loving feminist, would have been happy to do so. But we would have ended up eating cheese quesadillas every night.
  • I repeated this mantra: "Labor Day is just around the corner."
  • Caffeine! And only because Valium is a controlled substance.
  • Chocolate! And only because Valium is a controlled substance.
  • Zumba! A little healthier than Valium.
  • I laughed with my colleagues. We have plenty of material at an elementary school.
  • I focused on anecdotes like this: A little student of mine, who looks just like my brother did at age six, called a picture of a trumpet a "trump-bone." Adorable!
At the end of the first week of school, Dan and I were both comatose by 9:00, even though I had been the one herding six hundred kids all week.

"When can we retire?" he asked. He was having sympathy fatigue, I guess.

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: