Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Ghost in the Music Room: Part 2

 
Halloween is upon us, and the school ghost is wreaking havoc once again. Last year, I told you about "The Ghost in the Music Room (also re-posted last week)." Well, as it often happens with our paranormal counterparts (I guess), she is still hanging out.

One second grader, new to our school, insists that a ghost follows him from the music room. When his teacher picks up the class, we watch him slowly turn his head and warily glance at the empty space behind him, as he tiptoes away from my classroom.

"Okay, that's creepy," the second grade teacher whispered hoarsely one afternoon.

"And I haven't even mentioned my ghost to your kiddos," I hissed. "I quit doing that a year ago when I realized I was traumatizing the classes."

Two of my teacher friends were alone in the building one weekend. One of them walked down the hallway and turned on the laminator. She heard a male voice coming from the third grade classroom down the hall, but when she reached the room, the door was locked, and everything was off.

(The next Monday, she and the third grade teacher made sure nothing electronic had accidentally been left on over the weekend. Everything was completely shut down.)

She raced to the other teacher's classroom, and the two of them ventured back down the third grade hall. On their way past the room with the laminator, they realized the door, that had been open just minutes before, was closed and the machine was off. Nobody else was working in the building that weekend.

The night custodian swears that, every once in a while, she hears someone press the handicap button on the playground doors. When she goes to investigate, one of the doors has opened like someone has exited the building.

But she is the only one there at that time.

One morning, I came to school to find the lights flipping on and off throughout the building. In my classroom, the top bank of lights went off, while the bottom bank stayed on.

Another day, the surround speakers in the music room wouldn't work unless someone held down the button on the sound box the entire time.

Oh, and the LCD projector turned on by itself when I walked into my room one day. At least, the ghost is trying to be helpful.

I have a friend who does some amateur ghost-busting. She says it sounds like a manifestation of certain energies rather than a specific benevolent (or malevolent) spirit. She even offered to ghost-bust our school. But I was too scared to asked the principal for overnight access. He already thinks I'm kind of crazy.

Maybe someday though, my school will end up on Ghost Hunters or something. How cool would that be?

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: