Saturday, December 06, 2014

Santa Claus May Not Throw Up On Our House This Year

I might not get my decorations up this Christmas. I don't have a good reason, other than I am not very motivated.

For those of you who don't already know, I'm a music teacher, and Christmas is a crazy time of year for me. It's like one perpetual concert. Sometimes during the holidays, I have heard "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" so many times that I want to come home to nothing Christmas-y at all.

If Fox News (or Stephen Colbert) knew I existed, I might be accused of declaring a "War on Christmas." I have already been accused by a Tea Party guy of single-handedly removing "the Christ from Christmas" in our public schools. That was the same year I was also told that I didn't include enough traditional druid songs like, "Walkin' in a Wiccan Wonderland." You'll forgive me if I sometimes get a little too Christmas-ed out to trim the tree.

My husband, Dan, and I have one window of opportunity to decorate our house, the Saturday or Sunday after Thanksgiving. If we don't do it then, the chances of getting it done are slim to none.

Most years, we spend that Saturday or Sunday listening to Christmas music while Dan puts up the (fake) tree, and I flit from room to room, trying to remember how I made space for everything the year before.

After we're done, Dan looks around the living room and says, "Yup. It looks like Santa Claus threw up on our house."

This year, Dan did put up the (fake) tree, but I went grocery shopping instead because . . . you know . . . well . . . food.

The truth is, I'm not really feeling it this weekend either because . . . well . . . I need to buy food again.

So, will we put up decorations this year?

It's a mystery . . . even to me . . .

Maybe I'll just go to Sun Valley and enjoy someone else's handiwork.
For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: