Saturday, March 17, 2012

This is How I Take a Break?

A couple of years ago, I decided to take a break from performing. Participating in community theater had been one of my favorite hobbies (aside from writing, of course). But it was beginning to feel less like a hobby and more like an unpaid full-time second job. I was even missing my husband Dan, although the jury is still out on how much he was missing me.

Whenever I have an obligation that keeps me away from home in the evenings, I buy Dan a new video game, and he hardly notices I am gone. Dan and I have always agreed that it is important to be independent and have our own hobbies. I participate in local theater. He snowboards and plays video games.

In addition to my theater burnout, my schedule at school had increased by six classes per week. Also, because my choir was developing a decent reputation around the neighborhood, we were being offered more "gigs."

I wanted to write more and travel. I started blogging weekly (if you hadn't already noticed), and last summer I took a trip to Europe.

I thought I was done performing for a while.

So here is a timeline of what happened after I made the conscientious decision to take a break:
  • June 2010: Becky decides to quit theater.
  • February 2011: Becky is asked to take over a role after another cast member drops out.
  • End of April 2011: Becky performs in this show despite simultaneous several school choir/concert obligations. She happily, but wearily, fulfills all of these commitments. She is not as young as she used to be.
  • June 2011: Becky is hired by the local opera to sing in their summer musical presentation.
  • July 2011: Becky performs with the opera while taking a certification course in Orff training.
  • End of summer 2011: Becky hears about a Boise production of The King and I; one of Becky's favorite former roles was "Mrs. Anna."
  • November 2011: Becky auditions and is cast. (A happy day!)
  • January 2012: Becky agrees to music direct a summer youth musical.
Now I am in the middle of rehearsals for The King and I. The week The King and I closes, I start my work with the summer youth musical. I guess once you have been bitten by the theater bug, there is no going back.

I bought Dan two new video games this Christmas.

"But I don't get as much time to play them. You're home earlier from these rehearsals than when you do out-of-town shows," Dan said with a sigh.

Like I said, I'm not sure how much he misses me.

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan

Check out more of my work in:

No comments: