Saturday, February 04, 2012

The Day the Server Went Down

Last week at work, our tech people told us to plan for a computer-free day that Friday. They were taking the school server down. If the server was not taken down, some sort of catastrophic event along the lines of the Y2K meltdown would occur. (Those alive during the year 2000 will recall that the Y2K meltdown never really happened either.)

When I asked if I could use my computer for interactive whiteboard, non-network-related purposes, I was told in quite panicked overtones, "Do whatever you want! You might crash your whole system!"

"Yeah, whatever," my software engineer, computer genius husband scoffed that evening. "As long as you stay off the network, you should be fine."

Funny thing - the next day, the word (from our district tech) was that we would be able to use our computers as long as we unplugged our network cables. No e-mail or internet, but all other programs were fine.

"So," I philosophized, "let the Y2K-like hysteria begin!"

Did I mention our report cards were due the following week?

That Friday started like any other Friday. But when my 15-minute morning break rolled around, I rushed over to my computer, prepared to check my district e-mail, lest there be some music-related fire I had to put out. I stopped.

"Wait!" I said, probably out loud since I have a habit of talking to myself. "I can't check my e-mail! I can go to the bathroom, refill my water, get off of my feet for a few minutes!"

My lunch break rolled around a few hours later.

"Oh yeah. No e-mail!" I reminded myself. "I can work on my to-do list projects instead!"

That afternoon, I sent my ninth class of the day out the door, sat down, and took a breath. (I rarely breathe during the day. Checking my district e-mail takes the place of breathing on most days.)

"Wasn't it freeing not having access to internet or e-mail today?" I asked the teacher who occupies the room next to mine. We were having a conversation, a rarity in the afternoons when we were typically on our computers tying up all the loose ends that had manifested in the hours after lunch.

"Yes!" she exclaimed. "I feel like I actually got some work done!"

The lesson I took from the experience was this: Sometimes it's okay to disconnect, unplug, and tune out.

Of course, that doesn't account for the thousands of e-mails (including a few "fires") that greeted me on Monday morning. Apparently, the server was back.

Hello "delete" button!

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan

Check out more of my work in:

No comments: