Saturday, January 14, 2012

SNOWLESS!

We have no snow in Boise. In a state that bases much of its economy on snow-related recreation, this is devastatingly big news. Bogus Basin, our local ski resort, still hasn't opened. Until now, the latest Bogus has ever opened was on January 6 in 1989. It is January 14.

My husband, Dan, a season pass holder, is mourning the lack of snow. Some of the nearby resorts are offering discounts to Bogus Basin pass holders, but there hasn't been much snow anywhere else either. Dan gave me new Nordic skis for Christmas, and they currently sit lonely in the garage, gathering dust, lamenting the absence of snow, a reflection of the melancholy many Idahoans are experiencing right now.

For the people who could care less or are even joyful about not having to maneuver around snowy roads, this is truly sad for the local businesses that are dependent on winter recreation. Bogus Basin itself has lost over $2 million in revenue and has had to temporarily lay off some of its staff. It may prove to be sadder in the spring when we realize the mild winter's effect on our snow melt and water supply.

Yikes! This isn't my typical lighthearted, comedic fare. How depressing!

On Tuesday, the morning forecast still predicted low-forties and no precipitation, maybe some snow in northern Idaho. But around 10:30ish, slowly but surely, white fluffy flakes began to float apprehensively from the sky.

"The weatherman's always wrong!" one of my fourth graders exclaimed.

"My brother bought a ski package and lessons this year and hasn't been able to use it. Maybe now he can!" another third grader cried, as he lumbered in from recess. (As I watched the snow melt immediately upon touching the ground, I didn't have the heart to tell him that it wasn't likely.)

"You jinxed it in choir!" a fifth grader told me.

She was referring to a comment I had made earlier that morning: "Pretend like you are balancing a snowman on your head . . . even though there is no snow out there."

"Jinxed it?" I said. "I'm so powerful, I made it snow!"

I instant messaged Dan at lunch, "Did you see that it's snowing? We're all very excited here!"

A few hours later, the snow stopped, and the sun came out. But I believe it provided a tiny glimmer of hope for the snow-loving Boise community.

"Bogus only gained about a half-inch," Dan said that evening. "I've been checking the snow report all day."

Yesterday, Dan finally gave up and went snowboarding at Anthony Lakes in Oregon.

Bogus Basin is throwing a "Getting Louder for Powder" party on Wednesday. Apparently, there will be snow-dancing on the Basque Block downtown. (And I think this is a serious claim. It is not just a fundraiser. They really are calling on the snow gods.)

Maybe it will work. Snow is in the forecast this week.

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan

Check out more of my work in:

No comments: