Sunday, August 06, 2006

Bigger is Better?

In the world of technological toys, size does matter. At least, that's what I've learned from my husband.

Because of the romantic oblivion we all experience before marriage - that blissful oblivion which prevents us from noticing when our future spouses chew with their mouths open or belch without saying "excuse me" - I didn't pay much attention to my future husband's preoccupation with size. Even after two and a half years of marriage, I still think his affinity for "super-sizing" our electronics collection is kind of cute. "Honeymoon phase" is a term that often comes up when my older, wiser, matrimonially experienced friends describe my marriage.

There were warning signs. Aren't there always warning signs?

Dan took me computer shopping on one of our early dates. I had finally saved up enough money from my meager teacher's salary to purchase my first computer. Dan, a software engineer with an eye for bargains and rebates, seemed like the obvious choice to help propel me into the world of technology. He knew about gigabytes and processing speeds, and I knew whether or not the computer would look cute in my one-bedroom apartment.

"Are you sure you want a 15-inch monitor?" he asked me, steering me toward a 21-inch flat screen.

I looked at the stark, gargantuan 21-inch monitor.

"I don't think that would even fit on my computer desk. Besides, I like the rounded corners and silver and gray frame on the 15-inch."

After we got married, my electronic equipment was gradually and magically replaced by larger, technologically superior equipment. First, there was my portable CD player. It became a stereo with a five-disc changer that could play MP3s.

Then, my dainty white desk with stenciled blue and yellow flowers was relegated to the guest room while Dan's 5-foot wide oak desk took over the ranks in our office.

The 13-inch television, that had been permanently tuned into Nick-at-Nite during my dateless pre-Dan evenings, became the master bedroom T.V. A 25-inch now serves as the source of entertainment in the living room. Of course, I'm waiting to see how long that will last. Lately, Dan's been talking about surround sound 37-inch digital somethings.

My deskjet color printer metamorphosed into an all-in-one printer-scanner-copier. And our computer speakers now look as if they could be subwoofers.

The other day, I came home from the grocery to find my husband unloading his car.

"I got some goodies on home-loan today!" he said, grinning impishly, holding a new . . . bigger laser printer. "There's more. Look in the office."

I made my way toward the office with a wifely skepticism.

"What are we supposed to do with that?" I exclaimed. A 21-inch monitor with its sharp edges and silver frame stared vacantly at me. "That thing will take up the whole desk. Our office will be one huge computer monitor!"

I'm growing accustomed to my new monitor even though our DSL modem is now propped up on its side since desk space is a rare commodity these days. Of course, there has been some mention of 24-inch widescreens.

Oh well. For better or for worse. In sickness and in health. Isn't that what marriage is all about - accepting the whole, for lack of a better word, package?

1 comment:

Guenevere said...

YOU DIDN'T HAVE A COMPUTER!!!???