Friday, August 02, 2024

End of the School Year Shenanigans

 
You may or may not have noticed that it's been a long time since I've updated my blog.

Actually, I have had this end-of-school post ready to go for a while, but I am just getting around to publishing it . . . even though school starts in a two weeks. 
 
Before I tell you about the end of the 2023-2024 school year, here are a few moments from throughout the year. 

For example, this is a conversation between my husband, Dan, and I, right around the time of my fall program.
 
 
Despite the above panic text, I set an intention to be present during my students' performances this year, to enjoy their music experiences right along side them. I spent the year taking "mental pictures" rather checking things off my list.
 
Here were a few (of many) mental pictures.
 
Snapshot #1
My student actors spontaneously broke out into a beautiful chorus of "Cheer Up, Charlie" when the girl playing Mrs. Bucket was practicing her solo.
 
Snapshot #2
The 5th grade teacher said he greeted his students with "Good Morning" everyday as they entered the classroom, and one student always sang good morning back to him. 
 
Right before the kids' spring musical, she didn't sing back to him one morning. He asked her what was up, and she said she had to save her voice for the program and that she wasn't going to sing until rehearsal. 
 
(This was not an order from her music teacher. She came up with that on her own.)
 
Snapshot #3
During a final program rehearsal, I told the kids, "It’s your show now." 
 
One of the boys came up to me at the end and said, “So what you’re saying, is we can take it from here?”

I also took actual pictures. Here are some of my favorite end-of-the-year memories.
 
Boise Music Week Choir Performance
 


 
Final Spring Choir Concert
 

 
Field Day
 

 
Camp Day Sing Along
 

 


 
Talent Days in the Music Room
 



 

 
6th Graders "Visiting" Me the Second to Last Day of School 
 

 

 
Kindergarten Graduation
 
 
6th Grade Parade
 
  
 
At the end of the year, I had to move my stuff out of the music room for painting and new carpet.
 
 
My guest room is now a music room storage area.
 

On the last day of school, I stopped by the grocery store closest to my house. It happens to be right across the street from a junior high. Middle schoolers were running up and down the aisles with their friends, wild and crazy.
 
All I could think was, They’re your problem now

 
(Of course, that's only true for a couple more weeks.)

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: