Monday, February 21, 2022

I LOVE Office Supplies!

 
I love office supplies. The idea of being surrounded by office supplies all day might have been the reason I became a teacher.
 
Oh yeah, office supplies AND the kids . . .
 

 
The other night at choir rehearsal, we were asked to turn in music.
 
"But my paper clips!" I exclaimed, panicked.
 
"What?" the choir member sitting next to me asked. 
 
"I used all of these paper clips on the music. I don't want to lose them." 
 
"Are you that worried about losing paper clips?"
 
"They are different colors!" as if this was a reasonable explanation for the average person. 
 
Most people don't have an unhealthy attachment to office supplies.
 

 
A few minutes later, after I had successfully stuffed my paper clips into my choir folder and turned in my music, clip-free, my choir friend asked if I had a pencil she could borrow.

"Oooo! I love pencils too!" I said way too enthusiastically, handing her a cute music-note themed pencil.
 
Throughout the remainder of rehearsal, every time I opened my folder, paper clips of various sizes and colors went flying across the floor. 

Once, I went shopping with a friend who freaked out over the accessories section at Forever 21. 

"The way you feel about this is how I feel every time I walk into an Office Depot," I explained.
 
 
At the beginning of every school year, I stock up on all types of Sharpies, mechanical pencils, multicolored Post-Its of different sizes, 36-in-a-pack Expo markers, binder clips in various sizes and colors, pocket folders, and anything else that excites me in the school supply section of the store.
 
About a week ago, one of my students told me her father didn't sign a form I had sent home because her father didn't have a pen. I doubted this was the real reason, but I gave the student a pen to take home anyway. 
 
"Take a pen. I have plenty of pens," I told the girl, "I LOVE office supplies!" 
 
All the while I was thinking, "Who doesn't have pens in several colors and assortments?"
 
I'm judgy like that.
 
One of the families at my school gave me a gift card to Staples for Christmas. Now, they get me.
 
In the thank you note, I told the family how much I appreciated it.
 
This particular thank you note was very sincere because I. LOVE. OFFICE. SUPPLIES.
 

For the latest blog updates, visit and "like" Rebecca Turner-Duggan.

No comments: